Wednesday, March 13, 2013

OH, CALCUTTA!

No, not the musical, the city!

Happy to report I had a safe and uneventful journey.  I arrived Monday evening and when I stepped off the plane and walked down the stairs I was met with that familiar smell of something burning and the wall of humidity that I remember so well from the first time when Bob and I arrived herein 2008.  It put a huge smile on my face.

I was picked up by the gentleman that owns the apartment that I am renting, Suresh.  We arrived home to be greeted by his wife Nina.  I had been communicating with Nina via email for many weeks.  They are a lovely couple and after a quick tour of my apartment, right next door to their's, I took a nice hot shower and went over to their place for a lovely dinner.  Suresh's sister is here from Delhi, so she joined us as well.  It was a wonderfully relaxing way to start my time here.  

After dinner (homemade tomato soup, fresh local fish and vegetables - all delicious), Nina brought me back over to the apartment to give me the full tour.  It's a huge place!  A large living room (with cable tv) / dining room with an attached balcony, a big kitchen, two bedrooms and two bathrooms.  My first two nights have been very comfortable and knowing that I can come home to this place at the end of each day is a very welcome relief.

As expected, it's quite hot.  The temps is week are between 97-99.  Oh, the bedrooms have A/C, but I've just been using the ceiling fan and it's been cool enough for me.

Yesterday I spent the day getting to know the neighborhood and I found my way to the location for today's orientation for my work at Mother Teresa's.  I also spent over two hours in the Indian Museum.  Let's just say it's not up to western standards (as expected) but very enjoyable all the same.  On the way home I visited Park Street Cemetery (opened August 1767), a dark yet peaceful escape from the chaotic clamber of the streets.  Most of the graves are of British or other important Europeans that died in Calcutta.  It's full of overgrown monuments (so many obelisks!) and a lot of very loud ravens.  

The egg man came by the apartment today and I bought six eggs for 30 rupee (about 55 cents).

Looking forward to orientation today and starting work tomorrow.  


1 comment:

  1. see, 2 bedrooms.. you could have taken me with you!! I love this.. glad you made it safe and sounds like your place is nice. You are a wonderful person
    xo
    kim

    ReplyDelete