Monday, March 18, 2013

CATCH UP

OFF TO WORK

I've been so busy and have had limited access to wifi, so I'll be posting a few past days here, starting with...


Wednesday, March 13
Orientation Day

Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 3pm are orientation days for volunteering with Mother Teresa's organization.  It's takes place at Nirmal Shishu Bhavan (Home for Children).  I wasn't sure what to expect as far as how many other volunteers might show up on a given day, but I was surprised when over 30 people appeared.  We were broken up into groups by various languages - English, Japanese, Spanish, Korean and French.  A volunteer gave us the run down and asked us to read two double-sided sheets with guidelines about dress codes (don't show too much skin, shorts are okay but they should cover the knees), avoiding giving anything to street children or beggars, not to pet street dogs, etc.  She then explained the various facilities so you can decide where you want to volunteer.  I knew that I wanted to be at Nirmal Hriday ("Pure Heart").  This is the original home for the destitute and dying that Mother Teresa founded.  It's in the part of the city known as Kalighat.  This is a loud, buzzing, crazy place, mostly due to the close proximity to the Kali Temple.  I had visited the home both in 2008 and 2010 and from the first time I kept telling myself that I wanted to come here and volunteer for an extended period of time.  

Before leaving the orientation each person (or group of people - many people come with friends or a group and want to work together) had to sit and meet with one of the nuns and be given a pass that indicated which location you would be volunteering as well as a small silver charm of the Virgin Mary, which the Sister said a silent prayer over and kissed it before handing it to me.

They made it seem like you were required to show up at Mother House each morning and go to the work locations as a group.  I asked the Sister about that and she told me it wasn't required and I could go directly to work if I wanted.  She also said that since I was going to be here so long, it would be nice to see me at breakfast once in a while.  At least she didn't say 6am mass!  



No comments:

Post a Comment